Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Strange Dilemma

This blog is totally embarrassing in light of my total ignorance of LGBT culture, and my poaching of that old roommate's obsessions. I have the irrational fear that someday in the hopefully distant future, she will stumble across it and have a laugh at my expense. This fear is irrational for the following reasons:

A) I don't advertise my presence,
B) Her having a laugh at my expense assumes she is interested enough to read a couple posts. (I am not that interesting.)
C) Her having a laugh at my expense also assumes she remembers anything about me other than my occasional buttheadedness. (My personality traits are negative.)

It occurs to me I am writing here when I should be doing homework. This is finals week. Saturday is the deadline. I have close to 10 hours of DVDs to watch, about 500 pages to read, and 7 assignments to write by Saturday. I will probably skim the material and grind through the assignments as fast as possible. The fact remains: it is an idiotic amount of work, especially in light of the fact of my full time employment and 90 minutes of commute per day. It is the height of lunacy for me not to be hammering out assignments this moment, and yet here I sit tapping away at this blog I haven't updated in 2 months.

I could at least be catching up on emails. I have many awaiting me which I intend to answer. I could also be writing music. I have pages full of lyrics, chord progressions lifted from Franck and Irving Berlin. I even a slew of covers that fit my voice nicely. I could arrange those.

Instead I waste time here and read HuffPo. Woe is me. I implore sympathy for my self-sabotage. Even my irony is ironic. Ignore the stupidity of me. I am posing at posing. A half hearted copy of a half hearted copy repeated ad nauseum. If you haven't rolled your eyes and browsed elsewhere, you will be annoyed by the time you reach this sentence.

5 comments:

  1. ~It's like ray-ee-aain on your wedding day...~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Utoh... I screwed up again. I wasn't annoyed by the last sentence. Irony in action I guess. Then again it DID rain on my wedding day and I should have run for my life then. Not because of the rain mind you, but because of HIM and his insane parents.

    I have faith in you, you will prevail. Sometimes, just sometimes, you need to take a break from all the pushing of yourself too hard to just be. No-one understands that better than me. I never took a break until it was way, way too late and I was broken enough I had to stop.

    Good lesbian, have a biscuit! (Yes, I had to borrow that, it seemed to fit. I hope she won't shoot me?) Give her a hug from me will ya? Miss you all terribly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, one more thought. The more I "understand" about "LGBT{insert aplhabet soup here}" the more it makes my brain (or what passes for it) hurt. It's weirdness out there, I mean seriously, it'll rot your brain.

    Ask me how a wormhole between two active gates work, or why the sky is blue, that I can tell you. Why the only people who seem to care that I'm supposedly something in that insane mess is the other people in that insane mess makes me think of Will Rogers thoughts. "I don't want to be part of any group that would have ME as a member." or something like that.

    My room is after all still my room when I'm not in it. As long as I keep paying the rent and have the keys to it and the apartment it is in. So yes, it's my room. Now I think I'm the mood to to look at a finely crafted firearm, and the equally finely craft nutcase that's holding it. Love ya.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, I'll bite.

    How do you sustain a wormhole between two active gates? And why does a wormhole have to be one way? Why is it always either an outgoing or an incoming wormhole? What would happen if you tried to walk into an incoming wormhole? And why can they send radio messages both ways through a wormhole of either variety?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Actually the sustaining a wormhole part is easy. It's lkike charging a nicad battery. Sustained hi energy input will cause the battery to explode, low infrequent energy can be handled for extended periods. Because matter and energy are simply two different states of the same stuff, using the right frequency essentially tricks the gate into seeing an ongoing stream of "objects" passing through the event horizon. Plus in the base code there is an instruction to put the connection on active idle so that the DHDs can be charged.

    Believe it or not there is an actual engineering reason for uni-directional wormholes. Power flow and energy curves. Think of how lightening works. A high charge valance between cloud and cloud, or cloud and ground can cause energy to jump and thus you have lightening. It's actually a complex "dance" of incredible energy that the human eye can't - no, the brain can't process. One stroke of lightening is actually several with picoseconds of each other so that it looks like one. High charge to low, return, return and then end. Balance is thus achieved. Lightening isn't straight line because it's traveling along an ionization corridor. Same thing with the gate system.

    So it's either one or the other because of the energy requirements and believe it or not a shortsighted designer. They came up with the gate system BEFORE ZPMs, so initially power was finite. Then like so many things, when they had the power, they never thought to revisit it. Plus it's also a security feature. I kid you not, in the early days of the gatesystem, they used to do a quick scan of a planet and then "drop" a gate and DHD off. Like the SGC the Alterans (Ancients) sent out teams to explore these planets. You never want an outgoing wormhole to have people or creatures charging at you from an outgoing wormhole. Not unlike an arilock. Pure security.

    Radio waves are very, very low power and energy, they simply ride the "inonization corridor" back and forth, somewhat like electric throuh a wire. No real possibility for it to be a threat (though there are some safeguards) so the gate system ignores it.

    Which brings us to what happens if you step in to an outgoing wormhole. In Milkyway gates you'd be de-molecularized and then the gate diags would flush you from the buffer. After all, who'd be stupid enough to do that right? After some mishaps, the new gates would pass you through the rematerialization code and spit you back out where you started as a failsafe.

    Aren't you so glad you asked? Sorry it took me so long to reply, I hadn't seen you comment Paul. Sorry about that. Oops, I should have warned you when I made the comment about asking me, that there is a reason my friends and family nicknamed me "Carter." As in "Carter my head" or "One word you want to be careful around Carter with is 'how' Mr. Ambassador. She'll tell you." Bet you didn't know the "weapon" Anubis tried to use in Redemption I and II was not a weapon at all? I know what it was designed and used for.

    ReplyDelete